Saturday, January 7, 2017

Gimme Mystery

January 7, 1962.

Fifty-five years ago today, I made my First Communion at Saint Michael's Roman Catholic Church in Manhattan.

My understanding of communion has changed/continues to change through the years of my eclectic spiritual sojourn... Sacrament or ordinance? Open or closed? Transsubstantiation, symbol, or real presence?

Not sure my answers today would be any clearer or more theologically sound than they were as a precocious seven-year old making my way up to the altar rail in my white dress and veil, gloved hands folded and pointing heavenward. And, as the expressions in these First Communion pictures reveal, there's always room in faith and spirituality for a doubtful smirk.

I'll take mystery...then, and now.

No comments:

Post a Comment